Friday, February 25, 2011
Parents Make the Most of a Snow Day
A snow and ice storm came through my neighborhood, here in the Midwest. That means school is closed. Many kids may be watching television, playing video games or playing in the snow. If you’re enjoying a snow day with your kids today, make it fun as well as education. Here’s a list of activities to connect reading, writing and snow:
- Research what a snowflake is, and how they form,
- Have your children write what they like best about snow,
- Cut out snowflakes, then have your children write words associated with snow on them,
- If you have a story about snow read it aloud to your children,
- Have your children write what they liked best about the story.
These are just a few of the many creative ways parents can connect snow, or nature, to reading and writing. While also sending the message that reading and writing are important.